Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hockey


You can always tell that winter is coming to an end in our house because hockey tends to follow closely behind. This is my oldest sons first year playing "true" hockey. Today will be his last day and it will be a bittersweet moment.

Our family is a hockey family...all of the boys play and enjoy it tremendously. I enjoy watching the game...the fluid motion of bodies gliding along the ice like geese on a lake. The extended stick and flicks of the wrist that lead to scores and cheers of joy...fist pumped up in the air. The knot in my stomach when my son is guarding the net and a puck tries to weasel it's way past him. The red cheeks and sweaty hair letting me know that he's had a good workout for the day. Eating popcorn in the stands with my little guy as we cheer together for his idol. These moments will be cherished. Today will be a bittersweet day!

4 comments:

  1. You captured that feeling parents have of reveling in their children's passions...until next season, hockey mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the details and word choice you used to create your moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is nearly 40 and still plays every winter. My father-in-law quit the year he turned 70, simply because he had gotten a pacemaker and didn't want to chance it. Hockey is really a game that can last a life time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment: "The knot in my stomach when my son is guarding the net" - I could feel it. Nice flow with superb word choice. Your slice brought emotion. I can tell winter is ending because baseball is starting. My son pitches and I get the knot in my stomach every time. Your love for your kids shines through. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete