Saturday, March 22, 2014

Opening Ceremony (22/31)

photo  ©2008  Stefano Chiarelli, Flickr
The crystal blue sky was a perfect sign that today was going to be a special day. The boys watched the clock as it slowly rounded the bases towards 10. Thigh high socks, long sleeved solid colored shirts, and baseball pants adorned my two boys as they gripped their water bottles. 

"Mom, is it time yet?"

I checked the diaper bag and wrestled shoes on to my little chunky footed girl before grabbing light coats and heading out the door. We all piled into the car and away we zipped. 

The field was painted like an artists palette. Groups of color combinations gathered together in perfect little circular clumps. Giggles and playful shoves were seen and heard from every corner. 

The announcer began to start the show. 

"We are happy to welcome you here for the 75th Anniversary..."

Wow! 75 years is a long time. What a special tradition to be a part of. As my ears began to tune in again, I watched as lines of colored groups began to line the fence. One by one, they were ushered on to the field by their coaches. I am lucky enough to have two groups to cheer for. My little munchkin cheers in my arms as her brothers run on to the field. It is the beginning of baseball season and I couldn't be more delighted. 

After everyone is on the field, I am blessed with a special gift. On to the pitcher's mound walks a familiar face. It is the younger sister to a past student, a family that I adore, and a sweet young lady. She has been honored to share with us the National Anthem. I always get a little nervous when I see a young child (4th grade for this one) sing the National Anthem. It is a difficult song to sing and one that is easy to ruin. She opened her mouth and out came the voice of a confident angel. It was just stunning. When she finished, a roar of applause exploded from the stands and chatter began about who this beautiful singer was. I beamed with pride as I watched her walk off the field to join the rows of family that attended to cheer her on. 

After the official "PLAY BALL" was yelled, I bee-lined it over to congratulate my future music mogul. I was greeted with a smile and a round of hugs from past students. Her brother had invited most of his baseball team to come see his sister sing. Several were past students who I was delighted to see since they left the school to join the Junior High last year. 

As I shuffled off to cheer on my boys, a huge smile appeared on my face. I am so lucky to have the opportunity to watch my students shine in the spotlight and to watch my children play a game they love.

Let the games begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment