Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pause

I am incredibly blessed to have an amazing younger brother. He is big hearted, kind, hard working, a playful kid at heart, an incredible dad, and a stupendous uncle. I am constantly reminded of these qualities when I am able to spend time with him. Today was one of those days.
 
His wife and daughter are away visiting family, so I asked him to come over for dinner. The least I can do is make sure that he's eating a good meal while they are gone. After a long work day, my brother came over to the house. Now Uncle J is very popular with my boys because he rough houses with them. What boy doesn't love that?
 
After refueling and chatting with me a bit, Uncle J ventured upstairs to play with the boys. He hadn't even reached the top step before J swiped his light saber at him. T was crouched in the corner with the Nerf gun and Uncle J was left empty handed. That doesn't work at all...so he quickly dodged obstacles and grabbed two Nerf swords. He craftily blocked J's light saber slashes and managed to jam the Nerf gun with his Jedi mind tricks. T fumbled with the Nerf gun while Uncle J disarmed J of his light saber. The battle may have just been won...
 
"PAUSE!", yells J as he drops to the floor for his light saber. My brother and I just looked at each other and laughed. In our house growing up, we yelled UNCLE but my son yells PAUSE. I wonder if video games are played at our house? :)
 
My brother 'paused' for just long enough for J to rescue his light saber...and not a moment too soon. As soon as that red Jedi tool was in J's hand, it was jabbing towards Uncle J. I smiled and turned to go downstairs. How lucky am I to have a brother who comes over to play with my kids? I couldn't ask for a better brother or a better uncle for my little ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment