Thursday, March 1, 2012

Decadent Birthday

Another birthday...wow, the time has flown.

I finished a loooong day at work and was greeted by a house full of guests. My mom, dad, sister-in-law, and grandmother were bustling around in the kitchen getting the dinner ready. The children buzzed around the house like little bees while the dog looked around in annoyance. What more could I ask for...well, a husband being home would be nice but that's another story.


Dessert was easily my favorite part. My mom gently took ceramic ramekins of chocolate decadence out of the oven. Creamy milk chocolate wafted out of the oven and made a direct path to my nose. My salivatory glands were in full effect.

"Mom, whens dessert? It smells good in here.", urged my six year old.

Powdered sugar was generously snowed on to the tops of the cake while raspberries nestled into the centers. J was quickly captivated by the raspberries and how great they complimented the chocolate. Three year olds know this kind of stuff.

With the first crack of the crisp top, the spoon slid into the chocolate lava. "Mom, this is like the Earth. You have the crust and the hot lava." Yes, that would be why it's called a lava cake. The chocolate ooze stuck to every taste bud in my mouth. Mmmmm!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!I loved your sons comments. It made the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm time for bed and you are making me hungry with your snow topped lava. I hope all is well in the northwest for you. Glad to slicing together again.
    Tammy

    First Grade @ Klinger Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops I forgot to say Happy Birthday. I hope it was great!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Tammy! It was a great day. My boys always make it special.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Elizabeth! The cakes look awesome & how wonderful to come home to a house full of loving family who are cooking for you! Glad also to know that your 3 year old knows all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! (You are the third slicer I've come across today who is celebrating a birthday!)

    And "Good Golly" is right regarding the number of slicers. The first year we had 11 or 12!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, this is an incredible turn out. Looks like everyone is spreading the word. That's what happens in a great community. :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    Chocolate and raspberries - I have to share this pic with my girls. I hope they will get the hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Terje, that made me chuckle. Thankfully I have family that get my hints...hope yours do too. :)

      Delete