Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bedtime Stories

I love bedtime and the opportunity it gives me to have some special time with my boys. They are both at unique ages and add a little extra excitement and enjoyment to my life.

I am a book lover, like most readers in this community. I tend to read a lot of middle grade books so I can put them in the hands of my students. Nothing makes me happier then putting a book in a child's hands. I get to do it every day in my job and in my life as a mom. 

I have two boys, ages six and three, who love to hear stories. J is my youngest and he enjoys a good picture book. He loves to hear the repetition of a good story and likes when I pause for him to add the words. We talk about pictures and what is happening. It's almost innate for him. What happens as they get older? Why do they forget to do things like this? 

My six year old is a phenomenal reader but lacks that drive to snuggle up with a good book on his own terms. We get to read chapter books together at night. I've introduced him to Geronimo and Thea Stilton, Jack and Annie from The Magic Tree House, and even Nan from Nan Cracks the Case. He enjoys each story but still hasn't found his just-right book. I'll keep introducing new books and will eventually find one that strikes him as perfect. 

Tonight was a night to break out the Ireland accent while two little heads rested on my arms. Heads got heavy and eyelids began to flicker. The perfect way to end a busy day. I finished the chapter, turned off the lights, turned on the laser stars, and gave goodnight kisses. As I got to the door, I paused to take in the picture. Two perfect boys snuggled together after a good book. I couldn't ask for more.  

8 comments:

  1. Love that mental image! And, as a first grade teacher, love the choices of books for your 6 year old. :) Books bring such calmness to kids (and adults). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true snapshot in time. Captured with words that paint a living tableau. You have a way with words that show the love and affection you have for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy this special time. Recently my youngest, now 12, asked me to read to him when unwell. I grabbed the chance with both hands - it did make me reflect on how infrequently it now happens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang on to those moments...there comes a time when they decide to read to themselves. Have you tried Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series with your six year old? There is lots of white space and the books are fairly short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Falling asleep with a good story ringing in the ears is certainly a perfect ending to a day. You are right that eventually your older one will find a just right book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true - nothing like snuggling with them at bedtime. My favorite is when my older son will hear me reading to my daughter and he just has to come and join us. You gotta love the lure of a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the moments to cherish for the rest of your life! There is nothing better! Thanks for sharing this snapshot!

    ReplyDelete