Friday, May 6, 2011

The Power of Hello


photo © 2009 Adam Freeman | more info (via: Wylio)

I am constantly reminded of the power of hello when I am with my youngest son. Hello can come in many forms: a word, a hand wave, a smile, a slight nod of the head, a high five, a hand shake, or a thumbs up. I watch my son fluctuate from one sign to the next...with great success. I saw many examples of hello today.

This morning, when dropping T off at school, J gave a high five to a man greeting us at the door. The man had a stoic look on his face when J walked up to him, smile from ear to ear and hand held high. This small gesture changed this man's face and hopefully his mood for the day. He began to smile and slapped hands with my little man. J yelled "High Five" and continued on his way, leaving behind a man with a smile and a better mood.

Not 2 seconds later, J flashed his pearly whites and a thumbs up signal to the ladies at the door. They returned the hello with a thumbs up, a hello, and an "isn't he cutest." My son was 2 for 2 in the few moments we arrived at the school. As we walked through the hallway, thumbs up signs and high fives were given to strangers. Each was returned with a smile or high five. I couldn't help but smile as I watched my small son bring such delight to people of all ages. Something so simple brought so much joy.

My two-year-old has taught me the power of hello and how a small gesture can bring so much joy to a complete stranger. I'll be making the time to say hello to many strangers today and wishing some of them an early Happy Mother's Day.

Hello, and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. It makes a difference. How sweet to be that happy, open and friendly! If only you could bottle it to release on their souls when they are 14!

    ReplyDelete