Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Do or Die Time!

I am an avid sports fan. You don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy the enthusiasm of a crowd, or the anticipation of a win. The energy and excitement pulsates through the air and works it's way into your system with each breathe you take.

My husband and I were lucky enough to get tickets to a hockey game on Friday. Not just any game though, game 7 of the East Coast Conference Finals for Hockey...Boston Bruins vs. Tampa Bay Lightning...Do or Die Time!

The Boston Bruins haven't made it to the Stanley Cup finals in a long time so the town was bubbling with anticipation to see if they could fulfill their destiny. We had wonderful seats close to the ice. I was born and raised a hockey fan so my heart began to race with each step we took into The Garden. It was scorching hot outside and the cool breeze off of the ice was a welcome change. My sweat began to evaporate on my back and was completely cooled by the time we reached the entrance to our seats. As we closed our eyes to take in the cool air and the loud noise, my rib cage began to vibrate like a phone. The music was pumping and my ribs were doing the same. I bounced to the beat aswe found our awaiting seats.

The game was a nail biter...0 to 0 as we entered the 3rd period. There was no time to wait, the Bears needed to step up and score. They had several shots on the net but couldn't squeeze it past the lightning fast goalie. The crowd held their breathes and exhaled in a grown after each try. Then, a shot was launched through the air...inhale...GOAL!!! The crowd went wild. I screamed until my lungs surfaced in my mouth. High fives were given, and walls began to shutter. From that moment on, it was standing room only. The crowded hollered "Let's Go Bruins!" as they pounded their hands together. People began to will the team to hold on to the lead. Then my lips began to smirk as a chant began around the stadium..."We Want The Cup! We Want The Cup!" This was the moment...we watched in anticipation as the clock slowly ticked down. Tick! Tick! Tick!


10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Bruins Win the Easter Conference! Stanley Cup, here we come!

The Bruins came together from all sides of the ice like penguins gathering to keep warm. Helmets were slapped, arms were linked, and hollers could be heard all over Boston. The opposing team dropped to their knees in defeat. Their hearts heavy from the loss and their bodies exhausted from the exertion of their efforts. After a quick celebration, the two teams lined up...as they melded together, they congratulated each other on a game well played. Hands were shaken, hugs were given, and conversations were had. I love seeing how a battle ends with grace and complements towards both teams. What a way to end the night.

7 comments:

  1. You made me feel the excitement of this game with your descriptions. Glad your team won, good luck in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done such a great job describing what went on around and inside you. I am glad that you and your hubby had such a great night out together.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great night, and description! You just know exactly how to woo us on with your stories, Elizabeth. I'm so glad you got the chance to go. Our head of school is from Boston so I'll let him know about the win, although I imagine he already knows. Good luck, Bruins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Bruins! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my beloved Red Sox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like I was there! Great description. You saw an awesome game. Go Bruins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the perfect mentor text to share with students who love to write about sports. This would also be wonderful to teach explode-a-moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow--great slice. You really created the excitement of the night! And I agree with Diana. This would be a great text to share with students!

    ReplyDelete