Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Coffee and Donuts

photo © 2009 Tom Small | more info (via: Wylio)
We have a Dunkin' Donuts right down the street from our home. My son feels that this is a sign...we MUST visit DD on a daily basis. My waistline and wallet can not grant his request daily, but on occassions we make a stop. Today was one of those days.

Our car came to a slow stop next to the local Dunkin' Donuts. The blinker clicked it's morse code signaling our destination. "Dunkin' Donuts, I L-O-V-E Dunkin' Donuts!", came a beaming voice from behind my seat. I craned my neck around to see my son's smile stretching from one cheek to the next. His cheeks started to blush from smiling so big. His eyes were sparkling and I swear that I saw some drool in the corner of his lips.

We nestled our car between two others and splashed through the puddles on our way to the door. The drive-in is awfully convenient but nothing beats the smell when you open the front door. A mixture of sweet icing and roasting coffee beans embraced us as we carefully walked to the cotton candy colored counter. We scanned the shelves full of sugary goodness and made our choices...lemon merinque donut for me with coffee and raised glazed munchkins for my little guy.

J bounced past a table full of construction workers, thumb raised in excitement and hello. The men bellowed their greetings between sips of piping hot coffee and pauses in conversation. J always seems to get responses like that from his enthusiasm. We settled into our seats, counted out munchkins and began to eat. The mixture of the cool lemon filling and the warm coffee was like a symphony on my lips. J was covered with glaze moments after touching his donuts. People stopped at our table one by one to ask J how his food was. "It's De-licious!", he exclaimed before shoving in another mouthful.

Coffee and Donuts with my little guy...the only thing better would be if my older son could join us too. It's going to be a great day!

8 comments:

  1. These times are so precious and you are so smart to write them down. Years from now your sons will read these with delight and say, "Did I really do that?" Thanks for sharing your moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun slice. I can just see J bouncing into the store. I'll bet he makes people smile when they see him! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have Dunkin Donuts on the west coast. My sister just moved back last summer from Massachusetts and when she was talking about wanting to take the boys back this summer so that they don't forget about their life on the east coast, one of the aspects was to take them to DD for munchkins.

    You had a great use of word choice in this post, such as "symphony on my lips".

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ate lots from DD when my students and I went to Boston-what a treat! And what a nice memory for your son and for you. Per usual, Elizabeth, you give such delicious details. You son must be delightful to meet, cheery and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet. These are the days you will remember when he's all grown up. Even better, he will remember them too.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your slice. You include such wonderful details-- the blinker clicked its morse code--a mixture of sweet icing and roasted coffee beans, and my favorite - your comparison between the morning mixture and " a symphony on my lips."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could just see those construction workers as your son passed by! Such word choice - wow! Love the sprinkling of dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this! I loved the way you captured the scents of DD...and J's infectious charm. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete