Thursday, April 7, 2011

Let the Running Commence

So yesterday I purchased Run Like A Mother to get myself inspired to start exercising and getting healthy. I've always been able to lose weight by just cutting down on my eating. Then I hit the big 3-0 and it didn't work anymore. Time to get active and lose the last of this baby weight before short season arrives. I think it's a mom's right to say baby weight, even if the youngest child in the house is almost 3. If we have to carry them for almost a year, then we can blame the weight on them for longer.

I am a slow reader but devoured half of this book in a couple of hours. It's a hysterical read and one that got me itching to run. I should probably state that I am NOT a runner. I am the one who wheezes after the first 1/4 mile, knees ready to give out, sweating like a crazy lady...and that's a good day. I know that my body won't take care of itself though. This book is laugh out loud funny and really hypes you up to get started. I'm in no way planning on running any marathons, but the journey of these two ladies is very interesting. They give pointers from clothes to music, running up hills to running marathons, dealing with spouses and children to running while pregnant. A great read.

I was so inspired that I headed to the outlet malls to get myself some running gear. It took almost an hour, but the shoe guy finally found the perfect pair of running shoes for me...AND they were on sale. How lucky am I? They are incredibly ugly in my eyes but they fit snug without any wiggling, and that's the most important part. The "glow-in-the-dark" yellow shirt is to keep the drivers awake when they pass me in the early morning or late night. Why early morning and late night you ask? It's partly because I have to work around my husband's work schedule but more importantly it to avoid lookers. You know, the people who watch you run, sweat, and wheeze while they shake their heads. I don't need any of that. I'll be running with booty shaking tunes in my ears (My husband offered up his Rocky soundtrack to inspire me.), my new gear, and hopefully my dog.

Please let these shoes be like magic ruby slippers...ready to bring me home in one piece.

2 comments:

  1. Several people have commented about this book. It may be one that I have to check out too...even though I'm NOT a runner! But you've got me inspired! Thanks for the laugh today, so much I could relate to -- and best of luck!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great goal for yourself. It sounds like you've found the right book for inspiration too, along with 'Rocky'. Thanks for telling about the book. I'll share with some others who might think it's fun, & helpful. You have a good attitude, full of 'fun', sounds like.

    ReplyDelete