Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Three boots

Three sets of boots are nestled by the back door. They are dripping from a hard workout outside.

They have jumped over logs,
                            burrowed into the snow,
                                         climbed up and down hills,
                                                      and stomped through water puddles.

Their shiny surfaces have been scuffed from the ice and tree branches, but they still beam. Who would have thought that one day could be so tiring?

Washington was hit heavy by a snow storm this past week. I have lived in this area for 18 years and have never seen this much snow. The boys were tickled to open their eyes to the sun peaking through the blinds. Both sets of feet pounded down the hallway before flying into my bed. Yes, it was a snow day and they couldn't wait to see what was waiting outside. 5 inches of white powder awaited them. Our green landscape was no longer cluttered with dead leaves. It was now painted to be a winter wonderland. Snowflakes clung to the trees, desperate to stay in the air for a few more moments. Ice sickles clung to the windowsills...their spiral pattern swirling to a point. The hills of snow were dotted by the bunnies who dashed from our dog this morning. It is a sight to behold.

I have never seen my boys hurry to get dressed before. All of our snow gear still resides in NH so layers were put on. Thankfully the rain boots were a newer purchase. Tags were torn off as wool socks nestled into their burrows. Pants were tucked in and feet bounded out the door. I've never seen a pair of boots have so much fun in one day.

They now have a permanent spot by our back door. Waiting for the green to disappear again under a sea of water or white fluff. We'll see what the weekend brings.

18 comments:

  1. I thought of you as they reported the record snow in Washington. It sounds like a great day to be a boot. What a fun time for such a timely purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this picture! It sure helps tell your story. I especially loved the beginning and all the work the boots did. A great lead into your slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did think of you when we saw the reports about your area, especially after your theater story with your mother. It sounds like a great day for you all. Even here in CO, with snow nothing really new, our students get so very excited when it snows-magical. Your boot photo is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you put the photo first. It really captures your story! I like how you ended the story by saying that they have a permanent spot by your back door. Btw, it just snowed a bit here in Seoul! Hopefully it won't melt away so quickly. We barely get much snow piling up in the winter.
    --jee young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get much snow where I am in WA either. I hope that you are able to enjoy your snow for awhile.

      Delete
  5. I hope that the weekend will be snowy and fun for all of you.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post!! I love the picture of your beautiful boots, and then the excitement your boys held to find that much snow outside. There's nothing like a school cancelation due to snow!!!! I feel for you in Washington, however--too much snow for me! Thanks for the memories of a time gone by with my 3 boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you allowed the reader to enter your post - that was such a sweet photo of those boots lined up and ready to go. I hope the storm will be it for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun perspective on a snow day -- the boots must be happy and exhausted! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way shoes tell stories! Boots definitely have a lot of personality and are filled with the best of adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that photo and the story it shares. We live in central IL and usually have had at least three snow days from school by this point. So far, we've had two inches all winter. My boys are beyond disappointed. Hopefully soon. Glad your kids are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the snow visits you guys soon. Every child deserves a good snow day. This has been a strange winter for us, but we are enjoying it while it's here.

      Delete
  11. comment from One Sunflower - what a terrific way to begin and tell a story

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a perfect description of snow and fun! I love the boot picture also. Such a story it tells. You word choice and descriptions are amazing! Seems so natural and easy for you! Thank you for writing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, you are so sweet. I feel the same way about your writing. You can put poetry together in such a smooth and flawless manner. That is not my strong suite at all.

      Delete
  13. I love the connection between the pictures and your writing. It sounds like quite a day. You painted it so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The boots look as if they are looking out the sliding glass door, eager to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The three pairs of boots truly had a great day. I wonder about the six feet in the five inches. I bet they were glad to have the " wool socks nestled into their burrows".

    ReplyDelete