Monday, December 19, 2011

Zoolights

We live a short drive away from our local zoo. I bring the boys often and we marvel at the marvelous animals that live there. The thing I love about our zoo is that it is spacious with plenty of room for the animals to roam. My heart pours out to the poor animals that live in cramped spaces, but the wondrous creatures that live at the Point Defiance Zoo seem happy to roam their area.

Every December, the zoo opens up at night for their annual Zoolights. The animals are put to bed and the zoo comes to life like a Christmas tree in motion. This was my first year going and it was a sight to behold.

The zoo doesn't seem very special from the outside. There is a lit up sign stating that the Zoolights are in effect. It's not until you walk through the gates and look out over the hill that you realize the enormity of this "attraction".

I wrangled my little guys hand so I wouldn't lose him and then looked up. I felt myself gasp at the sight before my eyes. The normal green hill was covered in a rainbow of lights. All the trees were lit up and displays flecked the grassy plain.


The area where I've taken my students to eat their lunch was now a winter wonderland.



I watched as one color changed to the next. I began to think of The Wizard of Oz and the horse of a different color. The raven night was lit up for all to see. There was a lit pathway that walked you through the light displays. The pathway was easy to follow, with no room to stray.



Some lights were just displays, tucked into corners and out in the open. My boys went on treasure hunts to see what lit up animals they could find. The lights matched the animals habitats which made it easy for me to guess what would be next. Sounds of "Elephant", "Fox", and "Owl" could be heard screaming from small lips around the park.



Other light displays moved. The anteater above moved from one corner of the field to this light stump. The red speckled ants moved up as the anteater approached. There were displays of fish jumping, eagles swooping in to grab their pray, a cat scurrying up a pole to a bird that flew away, and penguins sliding on the ice.

Statues that permanently reside in the park were highlighted as well. This particular statue has always been one of my favorites and the lights brought more of a meaning to it. A family, gathered together, hands grasped in solidarity....this time, surrounding a fire.


And of course, what display would be complete without a touch of it's home town? The zoo put special touches of home in its display....The Tacoma Narrows Bridge and Mt. Rainer. Both were put in plain sight for all to see.



Zoolights was a memorable night and the start of a very busy weekend. I think that this may need to be a new tradition....at least while we live close to an amazing zoo like this.

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures. I love all the lights. Our zoo also hosts an annual Holiday Light show. I love the magic! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at the photos; they showed everything so well-beautiful. We have zoo lights here, too, in Denver & it is a marvelous evening when we go. I love your line "The raven night was lit up for all to see." Thanks for taking us on the trip! And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful lights! I told my sons just the other day I wanted to drive around our town at night and check out the lights (no zoo but some great houses). I'm inspired to try tonight.
    Thanks!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. No zoo here but we do have a festival of lights. It's been a few years since I have been (grown kids will do that to you lol) but I think I will make a trip this year. Thanks for reminding how much fun it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for taking us on the trip with you!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful. I liked the "raven night".
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never visited our zoo for the holiday lights, but after reading your post and seeing the pictures I may add it to my "must do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you use photos + words to document your slice. What a fun night!
    ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful trip to take with your boys! Your pictures and descriptions are so good. Have a blessed and safe holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember "Lite Brite" from when we were kids? Your photos reminded me of them. A strange memory perhaps, but a good one.
    Thanks for sharing about this wonderful event at your local zoo. Sounds like something that might have to become a family tradition with your boys.
    Happy holidays,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to go to see the Zoolights. What an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea that Pt. Defiance put on such a display - what a treat.

    ReplyDelete