Monday, September 12, 2011

Tree Diver

It was a beautiful sunny weekend in Washington. The pool was uncovered and warming, the sliding glass door was open and a cool breeze was working its way through the screen. I was busily making lunch when I heard my son start to yell "Mama, mama look!" I quickly whipped my head around. "Mama, it's a squirrel...it's a squirrel!" My eyes never seem to focus fast enough but today they were like the automatic focus on my camera.

My eyes blurred from looking at the big picture of my yard to a crisp focus on the branch of our cherry tree. This was not the petite squirrel that our dog had treed several times in the past. This squirrel has been padding himself in preparation for the winter. As he stiffened his body, I watched the branch flex and spring to life. The plump critter flew a foot from one tree branch to the next. Our plum tree is not as sturdy as our cherry and it gave out under the pressure. The fluffy squirrel touched ground on this landing but quickly scurried to his new resting place further up the tree.

I giggled while I watched our new guest. His grace was lacking in his landing....he may have underestimated the strength of our tree's branch. After grooming himself, he worked his way to the ground. My camera skills were not fast enough but I followed him as he inspected the rest of our yard.

Settling under our apple trees, he took a lunch break. All of that bounding from trees must have worked up an appetite.





It's been a long time since we've been able to see wildlife in our backyard. I guess there are perks to having a recovering dog. I'll enjoy these moments for the next few months and then the critters will get their notices....dog back on duty, time to leave the premises.

10 comments:

  1. What a great diversion. I love watching the wildlife. Though I rarely catch glimpses in the backyard - we have 4 dogs on duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a great chuckle over this. I wonder if he was embarrassed as he dove not so gracefully from tree to tree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about it until your description that as squirrels bulk up for winter, they might not be as agile as they're used to. Funny moments here & you told it with your beautiful detailed descriptions per usual. Hope you have some other times with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your squirrel seems to have landed in food heaven. Very funny story! Glad things have calmed down so you are back writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, thanks for sharing this! love watching the trees and their critters. we've just moved to a new place and the trees are filled with doves! at least I think that is what they are...

    p.s. just started reading Peter Nimble, you are right, it's good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your squirrel watching post! I could really picture the squirrel, bulked up for winter, in your backyard. Aren't they amusing creatures to watch?
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature at its best! We have pesky small red squirrels who act more like chipmunks, only going higher in trees. Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your observations and descriptions make pleasant reading.
    I wish I could pick myself up as fast as the squirrel and not worry about the things gone wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can picture your greedy squirrel stuffing himself! Great ending, ". . . dog back on duty. Time to leave the premises."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing put the whole picture into play for me - the robust little squirrel, the bouncing branches and you at the window.

    ReplyDelete