Monday, September 19, 2011

Bump, Crash, Meow!

Scratch.....thump, thump! What in the world is going on?

Since my dog had surgery, I've been holding down the couch at night. She is much better and doesn't really need me there, but I'd hate to missing if she needs me....that, and my couch is super comfy. The downfall is that I hear every creak and crash that occurs in my home. Here's just a taste from last night.

I took Sasha out for her quick potty break before settling in for the night. Blankets are wrapped around my cold tootsies, neck is thoroughly covered up, and eyes are quickly getting heavy. The school year has begun and I've already got the sore throat and headache that seems to follow the start of every year.

CRUNCH! CRUNCH!

Eyes open to find my dog happily grinding her teeth on a rawhide. Eyes close again.

Crunch! Crunch!

Cats turn to chow his food. Eyes close...think happy thoughts of chirping birds and waterfalls.

Scratch! Thump, thump!

Now what? I try to adjust my eyes to the darkness in the room. The dog is softly snoring next to me, all four legs reaching towards the sky, and her front paws twitching. That wasn't the sound. My eyes scan for the cat.....there!

Mow, mow! (think Siamese sounds) SCRATCH!

I slowly ease my body off the couch to get a better look. THWACK! My cat is launching himself at the sliding glass door. Just what I need, a cat with issues. As I get closer, I start to see objects skittering across the glass. Long legged, flying critters are ramming into my sliding glass door. My cat has been trying to attach bugs through the glass like a guard kitty. I am thankful for the bug repellent but wish that he could do his job more like a Navy Seal.

Once again, I settle into my nest on the welcoming couch. Maybe sleep will be in my future...or maybe not.

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! Funny, I never really thought about what my pets were doing at night, unless they wake me up! I can just picture your kitty going after the bugs. Wonderful description. And the Mow Mow - perfect sounds for a Siamese. And I think I have your sore throat too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :0) This could be a book. Pets in the Night! Too fun. Hope you are getting some sleep and hope Sasha is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great unfolding of a story! Animals in our lives make for wonderful slices. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with you being sick and not getting the sleep. I admire your sense of humor. The slice is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a tale (tail?). I think you are wonderful to keep doing this for your dog, but hope you get some good sleep soon. You made a rather tough night comical by your blow by blow description.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you described the sounds of the night that you experienced. What a funny story! --jee young

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, pets in the night! This was too cute. And they think they are the normal ones in the house! It's all about perspective. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a feeling you were crafting a slice in the night amidst the noises and temporarily lifted eyelids! I love when the simple things become fodder for slicing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Animals have interesting after people hours lives. Hope your dog mends soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you wish our blogs could show sound bubbles - POW THWACK - like comic books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've named you a Versatile Blogger. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete